Garlic Scape Pesto from Honeyhill Farm
This is the same recipe as basil pesto sans basil and garlic cloves
¼ pound scapes - (remove the sharp end below the node where it turns white)
2 tablespoons of pine nuts, toasted (optional)
extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Toast the pine nuts in a heavy pan without oil until golden brown
- Remove the top of the scape and place into food processor
- Process for a few seconds until chopped coarsely
- Add the pine nuts and process until fine chop while adding the olive oil, the pesto consistency should contain enough olive oil so that it will just separate from the other ingredients
- Add the cheese and pulse a few times to thoroughly mix
- Correct seasoning with salt & pepper to taste
There are many versions of this; add some basil or flat leaf parsley if desired. Make it heavy with oil or light. Do not skimp on the oil however! Olive oil is healthy and a little pesto goes a long way.
Toss with pasta, top baked potatoes or pizza, add to soup as a garnish, put on burgers, make a dip with cream cheese, etc.